Most of us will do just about anything to fight the signs of aging. Luckily, the vitamin and supplement industry is constantly researching the safest and most effective ways to keep you looking and feeling your best. Your skin is a reflection of your health and eating the right foods, drinking enough water, and ensuring that your body has the right nutrients will help you look beautiful from the inside out. Though you should always consult a medical professional before beginning a regimen, here are five natural supplements that may help turn back the clock:
1. Polypodium Leucotomos Extract: Studies have shown that this antioxidant-heavy Central American fern can help protect the skin against damage from harmful UV rays. Though you should always use sunscreen, taking this supplement can offer an extra barrier of protection against the sun.
2. Biotin (Vitamin B7): The hard-working enzymes in Biotin help to metabolize fats and carbs, but they also help to strengthen nails and hair. As we age, our hair tends to thin, and biotin can not only help to slow down that process but, studies show, it can aid in the growth of new hair.
3. Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10): This antioxidant powerhouse aids in converting food into energy. Though it’s naturally produced by the body, we can often become deficient in CoQ10 as we age. Studies have shown that taking supplemental amounts of CoQ10 can help reduce fine lines and improve the overall quality of skin.
4. Collagen Peptides: Typically made from marine or bovine sources, these easily-absorbed amino acids are wonderful for the body, aiding with bone, skin, and joint heath. Studies show that taking collagen peptide supplements can increase skin elasticity and aid with dryness. As a bonus, these powerful proteins can also help prevent bone loss and keep your heart healthy!
5. Vitamin C: Good old vitamin C is a go-to when you’re feeling under the weather. But it’s also a potent antioxidant which can help with your skin’s overall appearance. Studies show that taking Vitamin C regularly can improve skin’s texture, reduce discoloration, and help with overall brightness.