Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin that can be stored in your body for a long time. Even though it is a vitamin, it still differs greatly from all other vitamin types.
Unlike other vitamins, it is essentially a steroid hormone that is produced by your body when exposed to the sun. However, like every other vitamin, it has a boatload of benefits.
1. Performs Several Important Body Functions
Vitamin D is loaded with several vital vitamins, including D-1, D-2, and D-3 — all of which perform several important functions in our bodies.
Some functions that vitamin D performs in our body are:
- Regulates the absorption of calcium
- Regulates the absorption of phosphorus
- Facilitates normal immune system functioning
Furthermore, vitamin D is also essential for proper growth of bones and teeth.
2. Protects Your Body Against Diseases
On top of performing all these body functions, vitamin D also has the following science-backed benefits:
- According to a study published in 2006, it reduces your chances of suffering from multiple sclerosis.
- According to a 2008 finding published in Circulation, it decreases chances of developing heart disease.
- According to a research published in 2010, it reduces your risk of developing the flu.
3. Reduces Depression
Recent research suggests that vitamin D plays an important role in regulating mood.
This study concludes that participants with depression who took vitamin D supplements experienced improvements in their mood.
4. Aids Weight Loss and Reduces Risk of Heart Disease in Overweight Individuals
Multiple recent studies suggest that vitamin D supports weight loss.
During this study, participants who took vitamin D and calcium supplements daily lost more weight than those who took a placebo.
The researcher said that this is thanks to the appetite-suppressing effects of vitamin D and calcium.
Furthermore, another study suggests that overweight people can reduce their risk of heart disease by taking vitamin D supplements regularly.
5. Some More Benefits
Vitamin D has a long list of other benefits, among which the most significant ones are listed below:
- It can reduce the risk of falls, fractures, and osteoporosis, especially in older adults. (1)
- It can increase your physical strength in both lower and upper limbs. (2)
- It can reduce the risk of cancer by 60% if taken regularly along with calcium. (3)
Health Issues Associated With Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D can cause a lot of health problems ranging from acute to permanent ones, including:
- Pains and aches
- A sense of not feeling well overall
- Stress fractures, especially in your legs, hips, and pelvis
- Severe bone or muscle pain and weakness, which can even make the simplest of tasks such as picking up a chair feel awful
To increase your vitamin D intake, take tried and tested vitamin D supplements. Also, step out into the sunshine every now and then.
Daily Recommended Intake
According to the US Institute of Medicine, 400 to 800 IU or 10 to 20 micrograms of vitamin D per day is ideal for the average individual.
Are you looking for a reliable manufacturing partner to help you create a perfect vitamin D supplement tailored for your customers?
Superior can help with all types and forms of vitamin D manufacturing. Our goal is to give your business exactly what it needs to succeed: stellar supplements.
Give us a call today to get one step closer to turning your dream supplement into a reality.